S O F R E A K I N G H Y P E !
USPS finally got it delivered to the right address and I couldn’t be anymore excited! Huge thanks to Justin at the Ascended Minion Project! Also thanks to Liliana’s actual model for signing this!
Thank you Steve and Kat for being so awesome to the community and your fans! This is something I’m totally passing on to my kids one day!
- Minion #72 | Ascended Minion #12 | Polish Tamales
Polish Tamales | Season 2 | Episode 8
Here’s one of my first jump into doing a weekly comics way back in 2008, before I graduated from University. You can tell how dated it is with the Guitar Hero reference, but it was one of the fun ones I did! This one featured Reika (Blue haired) and her room mate, Megan (blonde).
This was originally published at my University’s Newspaper, which, I think I rose the bar at the time LOL
I get a lot of random questions in my inbox & on twitter. Here’s some frequently asked questions (besides my sexual preferences).
1. How come there’s blue tinted art and a few that are lightly colored? Why don’t you color them like your Valentine cards?
- When I started on Tumblr, I wanted to get better at sketching/drawing. A lot of my peers in the industry can quickly storyboard 30 frames within an hour or two (rough/loose). For me, I’ve been a graphic designer and since the economy has been pretty bad, I’ve switched over to Story boarding and illustrated works. I’ve never been to an actual private art school like Cal Arts, so I’m trying to learn as I go to adapt.
Earlier sketches were done in mono-chromatic blues and I gradually tried to find ways to sketch requests as fast as I can, while trying to make them look presentable & a bit more special. What you see now is just soft colors over my pencils, which I hope to improve upon as I go. Stuff like Valentine Cards are stuff I’ll reserve for special occasions, since those take hours and I’d rather not spend half a day to tell a 5 second joke. I consider these sketches as improvise exercises similar to doing skits on SNL or Second City.
2. What’s the deal with Hasbro/Wizards of the Coast?
- I honestly can’t tell you. I’ve stated numerous times that I do all these sketches for charity and I expect nothing. I don’t understand how hard it is for some people to grasp the concept that not everything is about money. I don’t make myself available for commission works, nor do I try to sell alters, playmats or prints on the side. I’m not here to sell anyone anything or conduct any other business, but to entertain everyone following me. There are no ads, no donation buttons. While I have problems getting to 240+ requests, they’ll be done without any monetary motivations. Those that I’ve done sketches for, can vouch that I’ve never accepted anything in return.
3. Are you a guy or a girl?
- It doesn’t matter if I’m a guy or a girl or a robot in a space station hovering over Seattle. It doesn’t change what you see on your dashboard. It shouldn’t matter.
4. So I’ve got this playmat, alter, comic, etc idea! Wanna do it? I’ve got money!
- Most times, I’ll decline. Sorry.
5. Your style seems really girly/feminine… are you a girl?
- Again, it shouldn’t matter. I’m a helpless romantic sometimes, so enjoy the things I enjoy or don’t. I also don’t have a stick up my ass, so I’ve got a sense of humor to sex in general.
6. What’s your favorite Planeswalker?
- Liliana ♡
7. What’s your favorite Magic Card?
- Growing up, Serra Angel. There’s always a soft spot in my heart, but Liliana of the Veil is probably my favorite card overall.
8. Do you have any favorite Magic Artists?
- I’d say Rebecca Guay. I fell in love with her art when I first saw Kaysa in my Alliance booster pack. Other artists would be Jason Chan & Steve Argyle.
9. What formats do you play? Any favorite colors?
- I’ve been enjoying Modern, Legacy and some drafting (rarely). EDH/Commander is a love/hate relationship. Either people hate you for playing the game too cut throat or they find other ways to complain you’re playing too unfairly and proceed to kill you first on the table. I’m open to Cube, but often times, I find them sorta boring since I might not share the same enthusiasm of the card selection.
I’ve always enjoyed control, so I’ll lean on U/W. Lately I’ve grown fond of Mono-Black Pox. I’ll probably never play these colors in a fun/casual game since they’re miserable to play against.
10. If the whole Hasbro/WotC thing never happened, would you consider working for them?
- It depends which department I’ll be in.
11. Do you want to be my waifu?